Welcome

I love making things. Fabric, yarn, fibre, paper, paint and print are my tools of choice. The necessities of life generally manage to get in the way of my need to create , so it all tends to get a bit erratic. Exactly as the blog title suggests.

Here is my attempt to organise things and keep a record of my efforts.

My little Folksy shop is taking a holiday for a while but I hope to re-open soon and sell things that I have made for the sheer pleasure, but are surplus to my needs.





4 September 2010

I am trying to ignore the memory...

... of what the weather was like when I made this little frock.




We had had a rare snowfall.  I did try tenaciously to get to work. A lot of other people tried too and we all ended up in a huge traffic jam.  I think that the Inuit would have a word for the kind of snow that we were stuck in - it was not ice, not slush, and not deep snow, but it just made the road system grind to a halt. After about two hours of getting not very far, I gave up.

The best solution to an unexpected day off, with not a great deal to do, was to get the sewing machine out! I had a very happy day making two little frocks from a pattern which was first published in association with a BBC series in 1978 called Making a Children's Wardrobe.  Ann Ladbury had designed simple patterns which were interchangeable for all sorts of garments for babies and children up to the age of 10 years old. My sister bought me the book and I had a grand time making the dresses, blouses, shirts and trousers for my children.

The time has come for the little frocks to be offered on my Folksy shop - after all I now have no use for them.  So I grappled with the technology and there they are.

And then I got sidetracked.

UK Handmade  are running a giveaway for a little crocheted elephant called Noodle.  He is very sweet, and if you look at Irene Strange's website on the link you can find all sorts of patterns for dear little creatures. The very thing for that odd little bit of yarn, or a short piece of handspun  which would otherwise languish in a stash box.

For my labours, I am treating myself to some quiet time in the garden, doing whatever project comes to hand first.

I will have some very good company.

No comments:

Post a Comment